Sunday, December 14, 2008

32 Hour Days?




Okay. I've been fascinated by the "Painting a Day" movement for some time now. Duane Keisler is attributed with starting the ball rolling, but I've heard that Van Gogh actually did a painting a day for the last few months of his life. However, with romantic rejection, shunning by his peers, ear-shearing, poverty, going around 13 donuts short of a dozen and winding up eating a buckshot sandwich one night in a cornfield, I can see why Van Gogh isn't remembered for his Painting a Day.


So I'm going to try it. I pay a lot of attention to detail in my quest for some semblance of realism, so my art takes time....I really do need that 32 hours a day. I tried Modern and loaded up a shotgun shell with paint like Jackson Pollock. Blew a hole in the canvas. Tried Abstract but my 2 year old grandson's fingerpainting looked a lot better. Tried Impressionist but the only impression I got was the impression I needed to go to the bathroom. Tried Cultural and Primitive but I woke up one morning and found my studio filled with rocks and spears chunked thru my windows by the locals. So realism it is. And it is kinda nice to know what something is when ya get through with it.


There is a blog site called Different Strokes From Different Folks where a noted artist furnishes a photograph every week and participating artists render their paintings of that photo and submit them. I have been joining in this excercise for a couple of months and have selected the following 2 paintings for this blog. Each is 8x10 acrylic on canvas and is for sale. Contact me for details and please visit me at http://www.yimiart.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment