Sunday, December 28, 2008

Light and Shadows


There has been volumes written on the importance of light and shadow in art. So I won't write another volume. I do know that if an artist doesn't treat the interplay between light and shadow properly and correctly, a quality artwork can end up being used on the bottom of a bird cage. In the bi-weekly project of the art blog, Different Strokes from Different Folks, a photo of this figurine, the vases of dried hydrangeas, and the light filtering through frost-laden windows was our assignment.
The participating artists depicted the arrangement in a myriad of interpretations...some very fascinating, some not so fascinating, and some quite outstanding.
I paint realism. I will take a composition and often add other elements or objects, and the finished work is quite different from the original subject matter. But if I paint an apple, I want the apple I put on the canvas to make me want to go down to the supermarket and stock up on Granny Smiths. Realism, to me, is not reproduction, or illustration. It is not easy, nor is it quick. The time, effort and talent that goes into realism makes the completed product a valuable, crafted artwork. I truly feel that undertaking toward realism is a portion of the artist's life frozen into and on the paint and canvas. I frequently admire and respect the masters of realism and recognize the limits of my minimal talent. However, what I lack in skill, I try to make up in time and effort...sometimes more time than I would like to admit.
So I painted the photo pretty much as it appeared. My painting is not an identical of the photo, but realistic enough to make me a bit content. It is an 8x10 acrylic on canvas and is available for sale.

No comments:

Post a Comment