Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Commission Acomplished, Illustration Friday, WTTW

When I grow up, I want to be that guy who posts his blog when he says he will post his blog. Running late as usual. I'm back in Texas, but at my sister, Margaret's....who is a slave driver. We have this show (she does fused glass) in Marble Falls this Saturday, and she's been working me over to get more art pieces ready. Below is pictured some of Margaret's delightful handiwork!!!


But I had to take time to post the finished commission painting I delivered while in Louisiana. A couple of blogs back, I had published the WIP of this one. Here is the finished piece, delivered, and client pleased. This is a MIXED MEDIA...acrylics, cigarette ashes, perspiration, and pizza crumbs, applied in 100+ heat, raging winds at times, and amid vast hordes of flies and gnats. All in all, I think it turned out sorta OK.


Thanks to Deb Keirce, I got involved with another challenge thingy...
Illustration Friday. Penelope Dullaghan posts a word or phrase every Friday, and participants send in artwork appropriate to the post. This Friday the topic word was "Strong", so I painted a still life of my
container of Speed Stick Deodorant. However, I thought that was a bit tacky, so I submitted these leafcutter ants from a series I'm doing... "Windows to Costa Rica...Wildlife".



And next, I found the paintings I had done for Windows to the Words, Summer Stuff. I am the world's worst packer, so when I went visiting in Louisiana, I just kinda packed stuff here and there, in suitcases and garbage bags and chunked ii all in the old pickup. When I finished em, I took out my camera to shoot em, and the camera told me "Forget it, your batteries have bought the farm", So I temporarily forgot about em. But here they are.



My sister's on my case to get back to work, so I will. I apologize for such a sloppy blog, but next week, Pokey and TacoBelle and I will be back in Dripping Springs/Wimberley/Blanco in our typical "laid-back" mode. And hopefully, back on schedule... Take care.

12 comments:

  1. Hey James, your sister's work is wonderful! you had better toe the line, though, since her creations can double as weapons.
    hugs from me and the piggies
    xxooo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I'm keeping your nose to the grindstone (or rather the art palette)since we have three shows scheduled and then MORE, if successful. I'm firing some raku pottery right now to show along with the art, quilted items, jewelry, etc.

    So GET BUSY!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad your doing well James. Nice paintings and your sisters work looks interesting. Hope the shows go well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi James!
    Sounds like your sister's a slave driver for sure....lol! Tell you're on island time my friend!
    Love your pieces and good luck at the show!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love all the amazing work - you have been busy! Especially love the "mixed media" piece - it's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so impressed with your courtyard scene and your sister's stuff is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The glasswork is beautiful and so are the paintings! I hope you all have "good luck and high sales" this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is all pretty neat, your sisters as well as the outdoor scene with the little cardinal and humming bird. I would of loved to of seen the speed stick deoderant though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful work, James - glad you're back.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great work, James. Your work certainly shows your personality. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey James! Love the "Mixed media" commission piece..=]....glad all is well and your still slinging paint!

    ReplyDelete
  12. YOU have been very busy James!! I think you will like doing IF! This week is welcome...Your Following the Masters challenge painting is certainly welcoming, and many others you've done. Have fun! (I know you will.)

    ReplyDelete