Wednesday, November 3, 2010

OOPS...Now Where Was I?

I've been away from the blog for a while. I encountered a toxic plant resin rom a FireStick plant (Euphorbia Turicalli), got it my eyes and couldn't see for days. It felt like you poured gasoline and pepper sauce in em....absolutely excruciating. And it took a few weeks to be able to work in close detail. During that time, my brother-in-law and best friend left this life after an 18 month struggle with esophageal cancer. It really affected me (still does and will continue to) and I kinda got propelled into a major funk. Authors have an occasional "block" and artists do, also. I just got into a mood where I got home from work at the greenhouses, grabbed a couple of beers and read books....I think I've finished everything Ken Follett, Michael Crichton, Dan Brown, James Rollins ever wrote...and well into James Michener.

While in this state of retreat, I looked up one day and noticed I had two Flying Moleskin Journals to do...Ed Burton and Vern Schwartz. Pokey and Taco Belle, my pups, hopped on me and commanded in dog lingo to get moving. So I picked up my brushes and turned out Ed Burton's Journal with the two pieces. Below....First, the original "Rock" band, and the se
cond. three of my favorite artists.


Now...to get cracking on Vern's. I also haven't updated Windows to the Words, but that will be coming in a couple of days.

Speaking of Ed Burton....Ed sent me some of the neatest photos of pumpkins carved with unbelievable talent and imagination. It's a bit after Halloween, but these are just TOO good, not to share. Here's a couple of them.....

Pretty cool, huh? Cya down the road............ James



18 comments:

  1. Mr. James sorry to hear about your eyes and so sorry about your brother-in-law. Please accept my condolences! Happy that you are back. Edward's journal is fantastic!! Love the pumpkins btw...they made me smile!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy to see that you are back! You've been missed. Sorry to hear about your eye problems and the death of your brother-in-law. You have my deepest sympathy.

    As always, your blog brings a smile. Much appreciated!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I missed you James! I'm so sorry to hear about your brother in law and about your eye problem.

    It's so nice to see your artwork again! I especially love the two frogs singing in harmony...very fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My thoughts and prayers are with you. I think painting again will be good for you. Great journal pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So good to see you back, James. I'm so sorry for your loss. Losing someone who is both friend and family is a double hit. Big hugs to you.
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gosh James the blog world was lonely and not as funny without your wit and artistry !
    Losing someone dear is hard. I'm so grateful Pokey and Taco Bell are there to cheer you up. Sometimes the only thing possible is to veg but I'm so glad your back.
    Those pumpkins are spooktacular !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, James, I'm so sorry to hear about your eye trauma and the loss of your brother-in-law. The paintngs you did for me are WONDERFUL! Love the singing dinosaurs! Great portraits too. Glad to see you're back, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry for your loss and the eye trauma James. Glad to see you painting again, it's the best remedy, and such happy paintings too. Those pumpkins are incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the Moody Blues. I hope the rest of the year is better for you. It's been a tough year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Was getting a little worried about you James - did send an email. Sorry about your loss and hope your eyes are 100% better! As always, when you post, it's a goodie!

    ReplyDelete
  11. James you sure have been through the ringer my friend. So sorry to hear of the loss of your best friend...what can be tougher? And an artist who can't see...what can be worse? Glad to see you back doing your signature paintings with a twist. They are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. James, I found the link to this website from the Windows to the Words site. I have been a bit worried about your absence, and now I understand why. I hope your eyes are doing better every day (what a terrible ordeal) and I am so sorry for your loss. Hang in there, things will get better - it just takes some time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You know James, I feel ashamed of myself. I can't tell you how many times I checked WTTW and wondered what was up, but not once did I think to drop you an email. This wonderful thing - internet, blogging and social networking have given us the opportunity to make friends with people all over the world. I've been following many (including you) for almost 2 years now. As time goes by, I begin to feel like I know many and worry about the time when someone is lost. You my friend were lost and I let you down. I'm so so sorry about your friend. The artist Miro Sinovcic told me last year we are at the age where this will happen - it does - but never makes it easier. Thank God your eyes are recovering. Welcome back James, you were missed. Beckie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey James. long time no type!...the other day I rubbed my eye after chopping some chilies for Guacamole....that was bad, but wow!, firestick must be some nasty stuff! Glad your doing better....I sure understand the funk after that combination punch of your eye and then losing your best friend....art will help...and then there's your other Best Friend and mine too, who will give us peace at these times.Hang in there Bro, thanks for all the smiles you bring the world.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just missing seeing your wonderful works lately and fun attitude, wishing you well this Holiday season

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pretty cool indeed. People and their talent never fail to amaze me. I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your best friend and brother-in-law, James. Please also extend my sympathies to your sister.

    I am so happy to see the color and joy still remains in your art, however. Nights (or is it Knights?) in White Satin is now running through my head...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just wanted to wish you (a little late though) my very best for this New Year!! I so sorry about your eyes- that's awful..and of course your loss!
    This post is wonderful..nice work comical too..enjoyed it all-
    Aloha, from the pacific.. your in my thoughts
    Regina~

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi James...
    Haven't dropped in in a while, but now I see that you haven't posted in a while either.

    I hope you are well very soon and back to further adventures and paintings!

    ReplyDelete