Saturday, February 14, 2009

Don't Think It Works


This is the first of a series I'm doing on the fruits of Latin America..."From Tree to Table". Pictured is a Zapote or Mamey (pouteria sapota) and they are delicious...tasting kinda like sweet potato pie with a punch. After I had laid out the piece, I got this weird inspiration to paint a frame on the canvas that would incorporate the kajillions of beautiful rocks we have here. When I got it to the stage I have pictured above, I took a good look at it and wondered if it just isn't "too much" or gaudy. I've done that before...take a simple painting and embellish it with unnecessary stuff. Wound up with a good excuse for beating my head against the wall. What do you think?

9 comments:

  1. Hey James, I personally like these king of painted frames. If you makes a few like this with other fruits and different frames like this. It would become very decorative. Which I like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't beat or second guess yourself Jim. Go with that gut feeling. This is YOUR style. Unique, eclectic and always so fun to look at. I like the fact you explain what you're painting too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also love the idea that one pic is of the fruit in it's environment and the other is viewed how it looks like inside

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the painting and I also like the taste.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like it! When I first looked at it, I thought I was looking at two plates with the food, sitting on a stone table...sort of a triptych still life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I thought the frame was made of real stones. Very cool!! It's very interesting: showing how the fruit grows on the tree on one side and the inside the fruit on the other.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, thanks for the nice comments. I want to do a series of these...pineapple, mango, litchee...and if the stones work....cool.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun series to do and I like it with the rocks framing them. Definitely not too much. I look forward to seeing the next ones.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think they are very beautiful, James - GREAT job!

    ReplyDelete