Saturday, February 14, 2009

Mystery Artist 2


Here is my second attempt at doing an artist that frequents this little Blogger community of ours. I do this for practice,really, but it's kinda fun. One day, when I grow up, I do want to be a portrait artist....may be a long time waiting. This one should be easy. Easy only if it looks like who it's supposed to look like. Working from a low resolution profile picture is difficult, but not as much a problem as never meeting the person in person. There can be a little nuance or quirk in a person's personality and manner that reveals itself in a close encounter. That little "spark" can be absent from a photo, and thus, missing from the portrait.

There are a few risks in doing what I'm doing by painting a fellow artist, then displaying it in public. First of all, obviously, you can make an utter and complete fool out of yourself. I'm good at doing that, so that doesn't bother me too much. The big risk is insulting the subject. That I worry about. It would bother me no end to receive an E-Mail from an artist saying "Parker...you insufferable fool! I don't want my name associated with that atrocious image of garbage you consider a portrait. Make amends or I'll sic the Mafia". Now that would really make me feel glum.

14 comments:

  1. Wonderful painting Jim!!! I've seen this man in person and you've captured his serious look which is really one of caution not an attempt of intimidation. Well done especially when you based it on a teeny tiny avatar. You're the MAN! Happy Valentines Day friend! hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe Edward will be pleased.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was going to say he looked serious, and if he is in real life, then you probably captured him perfectly. Shelia's confirmed it...you probably captured him perfectly. Now, does he like being captured?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I immediately knew who he was. You did a great job on this portrait. Edward would love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh it's Edward isn't it! Amazing job James. You have the ability to paint so many different subjects extremely well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dominique, Sheila, Margaret...thanks so much for the compliments. I did give him a more serious expression than I intended. There's a little glint of amusement behind that mustache that eluded me. I too, hope he likes it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL, DEB...captured? He may feel like capturing me and locking me away somewhere. Akiko, Nancy, thanks for the kind words. I think portraiture is the most fun frustration an artist can attempt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like Akiko, I knew who it was right away! Well done James...Edward looks great. How fun of you to paint him.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so sorry, I posted as my son (Seth) without realizing he was signed in on my computer! I just wanted to say how great your painting of Edward is and to thank you both for visiting my blog, as well! And as Sheila said, that IS a teeny tiny avatar!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I thought he looked a bit familiar;)Wow! THANK YOU for painting my portrait, James!!! You did an incredible job and I am completely flattered!
    I am very honored to be immortalized by you. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a very cool thing to do. Obviously it was a good likeness because so many people knew who it was.
    My first art teacher used to practice by painting the missing children from the milk cartons an fliers. He then went on to get a lot of press both for himself and the cause of missing and abused children by displaying the work on people (his friends carried the portraits hung around their necks) at museums and even across the country at the nation's capitol. (John Paul Thornton).

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow..Very Nice James. You are very talented!

    ReplyDelete