Tuesday, March 10, 2009
First Commissioned Portrait and Fabulous Blog Award
Great Blog Party (March 8) and so many thanks for those that attended. Back to work and time to get serious.....just kidding.
I've just started out with portraits. My only serious ones were of Adebanji, Ana, and my sister. Adebanji thought his was good, but I added a few years to his age. Ana won't let her portrait out of her sight. In fact she was so happy with hers that she....never mind. I wasn't happy with my sister's but she was. Course she's so nice and agreeable, she would say it's lovely if I made her look like Fidel Castro.
A friend of my associate, Jim, came to me and wanted a portrait of his wife, Mariella. So I took a few pictures, and showed em to him, but he said he wanted her hair down, not tied back like the photos. Next time she was in, I went to take photos, but my camera wouldn't cooperate. So I just looked at her and made a big production of moving her head around fluffing her hair around, so I could get "the feel" of the mood (yeh, right ;-)
Anyway, the finished project is shown above, along with the reference photo. I say finished, but I went back and detailed her right hand and a few minor touch-ups. He has seen it and loves it. I have no idea how much he'll pay me cause I'm leaving it up to him...I'll let ya know...it's a 12 x 16 acrylic on canvas. My associate, Jim, commented that my female subjects were certainly well endowed, and asked if I was a dirty old man. Well...yes.
I was surprised and delighted when I got a message that I had been chosen for the "Fabulous Blog Award". R. Garriott was the bestower, and I am honored. I've admired R's work for its crispness, attention to detail and professional quality. If you haven't been to R's blog just click. The guidelines are that I am to list my 5 favorite addictions and then pass the award to 5 other recipients. So.....
My 5 Favorite addictions, aside from painting, are:
(1) Humor... To see a person smile and enjoy the moment means so much to me. There is, and always has been, serious things, sad things, and tragedy in this human life of ours. But we should never let those things blind us to the wondrous joys and delight around us. I try to be humorous in my blogs, and sometimes go overboard. So sue me. :-)
(2) Music... From DeBussy to Rush, Enya to ColdPlay, Enigma to Alan Parsons, Tangerine Dream to Yanni. I love music. Most kinds, but I mentioned in an earlier blog, Rap is only appropriate when I'm constipated. Far and above all others is The Moody Blues..they are masters. The music is great, but the words are sheer wisdom and poetry. Those that don't have music in their lives, just aren't in tune with the Universe, in my book.
(2 and a half) Reading...speaking of books, I make it a point to read at least one book a week. I'm currently rereading Daniel Quinn's "Ishmael" and "My Ishmael" ...if you ever wondered how we came to be the way we are, read them. And then Ken Follett is my all time favorite...I gotta meet him someday. And I can't forget Ted Dekker (The Circle Trilogy) ...the Stephen King of Christian writers.
(3) Nature... the world is full of wonders. Every day I wake up, I'm like a child, eyes wide open in expectation for what new and marvelous thing may come my way. I grow old, but I'll never grow up.
(4) My Family and Friends... as much as I love Central America, I'm too far away from my family. I have friends all over the place...they are truly cherished...worth more than all the treasures in the cosmos.
(5) My Faith...I put Faith and Family last, but they're first. Paul said "to pray without ceasing". In a way, I try to do that...some times I get so caught up in "The World" that I stray from "Father"...but I know He's never strayed from me.
Now...My 5 choices for THE FABULOUS BLOG AWARD (envelope, please)
OOH LA LA Design Studio
Daily Paintings by Jane Hunt
Artist Victoria O'Neill
Once again, thanks for the visits and great comments on the March 8 Blog Party. Pokey and TacoBelle got a doggie treat for each comment. Tomorrow they go on a diet. If you know someone who needs a smile send him over to March 8 .