Wednesday, January 21, 2009

ACEOs...Tiny Treasures or Little Litter?



From the time I was six, I've been an avid stamp collector. Back then I was also an avid bubble gum chewer. My favorite gum came with these stupid cards with baseball player pictures on them...guys I'd never heard of..Mickey Mantle, Ted Williams, Yogi Berra. I traded em with my buddies for stamps. Those stamps today are worth a few pennies. The baseball cards are today worth (nonono..it's too painful to recount). Anyway, on the intelligence and foresight scale, that rates me a minus seventeen. A baseball card and an ACEO are the same size...2.5 inches x 3.5 inches. ACEO (artist collectible edition originals) caught my attention a while back, and I thought "wow, get rich quick". I was going to sell em on EBay starting with the first one at one dollar, the second for two bucks, and so on. By the end of a year, those puppies should be going for over 300 smackeroos each. Well, that idea got filed with other old brainstorms of mine, like spinach cheesecake and bottomless coffee cups for insomniacs. I did a jillion of em tho, and still do them. I have a hundred or so drawn, color blocked in, and awaiting the detailing and finishing touches. In that state of readiness, I can carry a dozen with me, along with my paints and brushes, set up in a park or quiet, public place, display a number of finished ACEOs, spread a palette, and complete 5 or 6 a day while countless multitudes surround me in awed murmurs of ooohs and aaahs. Yeah right.
But there is a fascination with art done small. Most of the submissions to DSFDF are small, if not miniature. There is a place for large wall-size artwork (usually on a wall) and there is a place for groupings of smaller works. Smaller works don't sell for as much but I think they sell more readily...the operative word being SELL. I posted just a few of my ACEOs above. The comics are not for sale because they are MINE. They are also copyrighted. I do them as tender and loving relics of a more simple, more carefree time, and I want to prevent those fond memories from slipping away like tears in the rain. All the others are for sale if anybody's interested.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful ACEO, You should post them on e-Bay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. James, Your ACEO's definitely treasures! Fun comics too. I agree with Dominique that you should list them. They are sure to be collectible!

    ReplyDelete