Monday, January 12, 2009

My Sister....Sort Of


When I grow up, I want to be a portrait artist. The Different Strokes From Different Folks project sparked my appetite for painting people. The first portrait I did was OK. The second, really good. The third, pretty good. So I decided to paint my sister. I have an older brother and sister. My brother passed away a few years ago from cancer. I don't speak of him in the past tense because he isn't gone...we just aren't able to physically antagonize each other anymore. My sister and I have grown closer in the past few years. I used to think that sisters weren't good for much more than a doorstop or a paperweight. But with age, often comes wisdom. I love my sister. Actually, She is a beautiful woman...inside and out. But for goodness sake, don't tell her I said that. I let her win a Scrabble game every now and then, but I sure don't want her going all squishy on me.
Anyway, the portrait above is unfinished. It looks like her,sort of, but...... I think most artists occasionally have a painting they are working on, and get it to the point that they declare it "finished" for the simple reason that any further frustration from messing with it would lead to serious mental problems. Almost the case with this one. But I'll finish this one...if I pray hard enough.
So why would I post a half-finished, very mediocre painting for the world to see. Simple reason...for the two or three people that might see this post, I just don't want them to get the impression that I'm perfect. HAHAHAHAHA. Whew, I'm so corny sometimes, Kansas should nominate me as their state clown. Actually, I'd like criticism. I used to whimper and pout, but I'm a big boy now. Also, share a few word about probs you may have had when starting to paint portraits.

2 comments:

  1. okay, Jim, I really do look like this and you did a very good job in putting the likeness on canvas, but just wish I could turn back the clock about 30 years when I was THIN and REALLY blond with no wrinkles. Keep up the portrait painting - you have a real talent for it. Love, M

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the hummingbird, but it's hard to see because it blends in with the background. Maybe a little more texture in her hair????

    I love your work. And you're a fellow Texan. I know you don't live here now, but once you're a Texan, you're always a Texan.

    Good luck, but you seem to already be lucky with a great sister.

    ReplyDelete