Monday, January 5, 2009

Who Dat?



The DSFDF project had a bit different year-end assignment for participating artists. Those artists that chose to participate were asked to submit a photo of themselves and in return, receive a photo of another participating artist from which they would render a portrait. I have never painted a portrait of anyone and when I received my assignment, I immediately questioned myself whether I left my brain somewhere out in the rainforest. But, always game to try almost anything once, I grabbed a canvas and some paints. The photo of my victim was a gentleman whose face was halfway submerged into shadow. The administrator of the DSFDF project didn't tell who it was I about to insult with my acrylics, so I went to past projects, snooping....using my fantastic powers of intuition and dumb luck. When I went to the week before's workboot project and ran across a painting of the subject boots filled with a little fellow who looked like "anything but happy", done by an artist named Adebanji Alade, I knew I hit paydirt. I was so confident that it was him that I was painting, I incorporatded his painting behind him in the portrait I was doing. When finished I sent an E-Mail with attached portrait to Adebanji. Sure nuff, it was him, and he was well satisfied with my attempt, even tho it made him look older. This was a really fun project.

4 comments:

  1. Ade's portrait is wonderful and his portrait of you amongst the lilypads and frogs is amazing. I can see you really enjoy your work - keep it up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How thoughtful of you to do all that detective work so you could personalize the portrait. Such a big heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh YEs, finally you have a blog were we can leave messages and intereact !
    Your portrait of Adebanji is fabulous how thoughtful to include his painting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your portrait of Adebanji is one of my favorites in the DSFDF challenge... such a great composition with the painting included in your painting. Amazing that you were able to figure out who the photo was of. I just figured that the painting was in the photo. I'm enjoying reading and looking at your blog.

    ReplyDelete