Monday, January 5, 2009

Ana









After doing my first portrait, and it didn't turn out too bad, I thought I'd tackle a reallllllly tough assignment. Aside from my painting, I raise plants here in Costa Rica....crotons, alocasia, orchids, bromeliads and a whole bunch of other stuff. My partner and long time friend, Jim, owns a large farm/ranch where he raises crotons, dracena, schefflera, cordyline and others, for cuttings shipped worldwide, in addition to orchids and sago palms. He has quite a large operation. My studio apartment is in the main building next to the office. In the office is a secretary. Her name is Ana. I have known Ana for three years. She is a very nice person. She is sweet. She is a good secretary. She is quite intelligent. She absolutely drives me up the wall. Every day I tell her I'm madly in love with her, and that we should go populate an uninhabited island somewhere. She asks me if I want another slice of papaya. Ah, such is life...condemned to loneliness a while longer.
Anyway, Ana is delighted to pose for the camera. So I took a few shots and came up with this portrait, which I think is real good. It has good color and tones. The right proportions. Good likeness. Nice shadows and lighting quality. And it turns me on. I gave it to her. She went bananas. She was ecstatic. Mucho feliz. Delighted and excited. And she gave me another slice of papaya. Back to the drawing board. :-P

1 comment:

  1. Jim - I can see why Ana was mucho feliz when she received her portrait. I have been following your paintings on Different Strokes from Different Folks - Karin Jurick each week. The portrait of Adebanji Alade and his son, Josh, is SO GOOD. Now we need to get some info regarding your portrait prices so that we can place an order. Do you need an e-mail picture (what resolution) or an actual photo?

    Keep up the good work and we'll be seeing more of your work weekly.

    Margaret

    ReplyDelete