Saturday, January 31, 2009

Missing Leg Miraculously Restored!!!!


Sounds like a National Enquirer headline. I left off Taco Belle's hind leg. So I stuck it back on (artists can do that, even without a surgeon's license)...and reworked her face and chest. Now I think I'm satisfied. I think every artist has a few paintings that they work with until they get so frustrated they declare it finished and hope it might sell some day. Then there's those that you HAVE to revisit. Kinda like returning to the scene of the crime to make sure ya didn't leave something. Only the case of a painting, it's returning to add something.

I was going to surreptiously sneak back in and edit the post with a redone substitution, but that wouldn't be right because Adebanji and Edward had already commented, and, had they possibly revisited the blog and noticed that there was now a leg where there previously wasn't one, it might cause them some concern about whether or not they were imagining things, and we certainly wouldn't want that now, would we?

7 comments:

  1. O James !!! This is absolutely one of the best and wonderfully candid pet portraits I've seen! You are so talented. I don't know if you work off of photos or just have a photographic mind but I love that nipping action you've captured. A truly unique painting on a subject painted for hundreds of years. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the wee hours of a quiet Sunday morning, Pokey and Taco Belle assume a posture of heightened concern as they watch their owner, James, turn a deep shade of crimson. Sheila, you make me blush...if I was making any money, I'd put you on the payroll. Thanks for the compliments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so darling. Nice depiction of a candid scene : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. My oldest son (7) made me read the story about Pokey and Taco Belle to him twice (about the Earthquake Tremor) just because he likes their names. I called him into the "studio" to show him what they looked like. Nice job capturing their character.

    ReplyDelete
  5. James, you're so funny. Pokey and Taco Belle are full of personality in your portrait. This painting looks like something you painted from live doggy models! (Howard Pee Pugpants wonders does that pay well?) Nice work!
    I confess *stands up with koolaid cup in hand* I have gone back and revised blog post paintings after making hasty corrections later!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE these dogs! Great names, too. WONDERFUL painting ... such personality coming through! Anyone who has pets will attest to the fact that they DO engage in activities that if you didn't see it in a photo you would think the artist made it up. I love your writing, too, so funny!

    I discovered your blog through Edward Burton ... I look forward to checking in often to see what you're up to!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL, Nancy, you cute little Texas wildflower. Tell Howard Pee Pugpants that it only pays 3 bananas a sitting. Karen, thank you so much for stopping in. I keep hoping to offer fresh Costa Rican coffee, but I can't find an attach button in the add-on gadgets.

    ReplyDelete